NewsSee more news ›
The VHA has compiled a list of health-related election policy and funding announcements by Victoria's major political parties.
This list, which will be updated as further announcements come to hand, can be accessed via our State Election 2014 web page.
While the Coalition Government has made new funding announcements in the past fortnight, Victorian Labor has made no new specific announcements since August and the Victorian Greens have released only broad policy statements to date.
The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) this week released 2013-14 statistics for elective surgery waiting times and emergency department care. Elective surgery admissions in Victorian public hospitals increased by 11% from the previous year. But a relatively low proportion of category 2 Victorian public patients were seen within clinically recommended times, compared to other states and territories.
Victorian emergency department admissions increased by 2.9% from the previous year, with three-quarters of these patients being seen on time.
Edward Gough Whitlam, Prime Minister of Australia from 1972 to 1975, died on 21st October at the age of 98. Much has been written about the role Gough Whitlam played in Australian history, but some of the most landmark changes to come from his prime ministership were in the health sphere. Principal among these was the launch of Medibank, the precursor to Medicare, and the pioneering community health program, which left such a visible mark on Victoria.
The Commonwealth Department of Health has released further information on the establishment of Primary Health Networks (PHNs), including:
- initial information on their role and approach to market process
- boundaries, including six PHNs in Victoria
- registrations of interest to operate a PHN
- frequently asked questions
The department has also released a Primary Health Network map locator to allow PHN searching by postcode.
Victorian Health Minister David Davis and Shadow Health Minister Gavin Jennings expressed views on the following topics at a formal debate held recently by the VHA:
- Information technology
- Benchmarking performance
- Elective surgery waiting lists
- Patient transport
- Health service boards
- Medicare Locals
Policy & PublicationsView all ›
- Service Reform
- Population Health
- National Health Reform
- Information Management
- Victorian election announcements 23 Oct 2014
- VHA election outcome22 Oct 2014
- Health Matters October 201413 Oct 2014
- National Registration and Accreditation Scheme Review10 Oct 2014
- Health Policy and Funding Guidelines 2014-1519 Sep 2014
- AGM and nominations for director positions09 Sep 2014
- Community Health Program Guidelines03 Sep 2014
- AOD and MHCSS recommissioning consultation03 Sep 2014